Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thursday Tips- Make Your Own Eco, Guest & Pocketbook Friendly Wedding/Party Favors

Todays thursday tip is another on that might be familiar if you are active on tips to better living, greenhome or any other communities I'm active on.

If you have a special event coming up like a wedding, a shower, anniversary party or whatever and want eco, guest and pocketbook friendly favors these are great for all three.

Here's the soap bar favors I made for our wedding, there were none left over, everyone loved this as a favor! I was warned whatever we made there would be tons left over, but not so with these bars.

Here's a picture of the soap bars. These bars were around 2-3oz each and cost me around 50¢ a bar to make. I make my soap from scratch and if you want to go that route you can find all sorts of great info for making homemade soap online, http://www.millersoap.com/ is one of my favorites. If you don't want to try making it from scratch you can do a melt and pour with a glycerin base which is super easy. If you live near a Michaels they normally do 40% or 50% off coupons in the sunday paper and you can use this to buy their 10lb tubs of glycerin melt and pour to make it around as cost effective to make the same amount as making from scratch. (although you won't get the homemade quality, but they are still nice for favors!)

Then I put the bars in these little organza bags, the bars were 2"x3" and the bags were 3"x4" so they worked perfect. I bought these off ebay from http://stores.ebay.com/favorpro priced 100 for just under $10 after shipping. I believe this seller is located in California so this was also a transaction that supported a business in my country. These were just under 10¢ a bag.


Then I put one these magnets (that I designed) in the bags with the bars, facing up like a label since it's visable through the quaze. These I purchased through http://www.vistaprint.com/. Probably the least green of the items but as you know I'm on a budget and this was the cheapest option for the magnets. They do a promotion 25 free for these magnets often, just pay shipping. Since I also ordered (through the same sort of promotion) many other printed products for my wedding that made these even cheaper then if I'de orded just them. So I can't give you what you would pay, and can only give you a round about estimate of what I paid based on a rough break down of shipping prices since there were so many items sharing the same shipping. A rough estimate is that I paid just under 10¢ a magnet.


Here was the finished product, not a great pic, but you can get the idea. The finished product cost me out of pocket around 70¢ each. Which is very cost effective for personalized eco and guest friendly favors when compared to premade retail favors.

About Me

My photo

I'm a semi crunchy stay at home wife and mama of two boys. Extend Breastfeed, Cloth diaper, Cosleep, Babywear, Homeschool, Homebirth. My sons and I have some serious health concerns (allergies, growth hormone, kidney, lung, spine, etc...). We didn't realize they were genetic (or I had) until after Trace's birth. Tristian had some big medical and possibly/probably autism related delays in early childhood but also taught himself to read at 2yrs and started on math equations at 4yrs. Trace is bit delayed across the board by about 6 months, but as he's 1yr+ behind in height... it's not very noticable ;-) Trace is very musical and hands on. With plenty of common sense, love, good doctors and faith we are doing wonderfully!

This wonderful chapter in my life of discovering the green subculture has (mostly) ended. Living green on a budget has changed from the thrill of discovery to habit. This blog remains in rememberance- with occasionally crossover posting. I hope you join me- the same green mama on a budget, in a new blog celebrating life's daily experiences- LIFE O'KAY http://lifeokay.blogspot.com/ Still lots of crafts & crunchiness- with even more sweet family moments.

Question? Request? Suggestion? Something Else?
Email Me!
Calynl
(at)Gmail(dot)com

We are HAPPY to post coupons and discounts related to this blog!