Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Baby Cereal Bread

This is a recipe I came up with after my son decided to stop eating oatmeal for his breakfast every morning. I still had (and still do to an extent lol) a lot of baby cereal oatmeal stockpiled and so went about finding a use for it so we didn't waste it.

Ingredients:
1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 cup Baby Cereal Oatmeal
2.25 teaspoons (or one packet) dry yeast
1/4 teaspoons Stevia Powder
1.5 teaspoons Sea Salt
3 tablespoons Melted Butter
4 tablespoons Milled/Ground Flax Seed
half cup hot milk
half cup hot water

Directions:
In a bowl mix oatmeal, pastry flour and all purpose flour together. Set aside.

Coat both a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and large bowl with cooking oil (or spray). Set aside.

Put flax seed in hot water and let sit several minutes.

In a large bowl mix half a cup of oatmeal/flour from above, stevia, salt, and yeast

Mix together melted butter, hot water w/ flax seed and hot milk in a small container. Pour into large bowl with oatmeal/flour, stevia, salt and yeast. Mix well. Add the rest of the flour/oatmeal half a cup at a time (forms soft dough)

Flour your work surface and knead your dough until smoother/more elastic (the flax seed in this means it won't get smooth like white bread, but will get smoother and elasticy). Work in enough dusting flour to keep dough from sticking (I use a half/half mix of all purpose flour and baby cereal oatmeal for this since I am trying to use up the oatmeal, but normal flour works fine too).

Put dough in large bowl coated with oil. Turn the dough around in bowl to throughinly coat it. Cover with damp cloth and let it rise in a warm area until it's doubled (around half an hour).

Punch the dough down and knead on flour dusted area for a couple minutes then form into a loaf with the seam side down in coated loaf pan. Cover with cloth again and let rise in warm place until doubled again (around 30 minutes).

Coat top of loaf with melted butter (or margarine or oil or spray)

Have oven preheated to 375°F. Place another pan half filled with cold water on bottom rack of the oven. Place bread on center rack of the oven and bake about 40-50 minutes depending on your oven.

Optional- After you have removed the bread from the oven remove it from the pan and spritz very lightly with water top, bottom and sides. (I like this because I don't care for a crispy crust, if you like crispy crusts don't do this)

Let cool completely before cutting.

Possible Substitutions:
I am providing MANY substitution options for if you do not have certain ingredients. The reason is I don't want you to go buy ingredients just for this recipe. That would totally negate the point of this blog.

Please note some substitutions will change taste/texture of the bread and I can not guarantee the results, as I have never tried some of these substitutions with this particular recipe. If I am really unsure how a sub will turn out I put possibly by it to indicate that.

Whole Wheat Pastry Flour- any pastry flour OR bread flour
All Purpose Flour- bread flour OR possibly wheat flour
Baby Cereal Oatmeal- Baby Cereal Rice OR all purpose flour OR bread flour

1/4 teaspoons Stevia Powder OR 6-9 drops Stevia Liquid OR 1 tablespoon Sugar
Sea Salt- table salt
3 tablespoons Butter- margarine OR possibly 2 1/4 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons Flax Seed- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (note, this is not a normal conversion, this is my personal experience with this recipe- I don't know the normal conversion of flax seed to wheat germ- this will greatly change taste)
Hot milk- 1% OR 2% Or Whole OR Possibly skim

I wanted to get a picture of the baking process when I made this monday, but I can't find the camera card :( I will try and at least get a photo of the finished product up later.

Originally posted on blog march of 09

About Me

My photo

I'm a semi crunchy stay at home wife and mama of two boys. Extend Breastfeed, Cloth diaper, Cosleep, Babywear, Homeschool, Homebirth. My sons and I have some serious health concerns (allergies, growth hormone, kidney, lung, spine, etc...). We didn't realize they were genetic (or I had) until after Trace's birth. Tristian had some big medical and possibly/probably autism related delays in early childhood but also taught himself to read at 2yrs and started on math equations at 4yrs. Trace is bit delayed across the board by about 6 months, but as he's 1yr+ behind in height... it's not very noticable ;-) Trace is very musical and hands on. With plenty of common sense, love, good doctors and faith we are doing wonderfully!

This wonderful chapter in my life of discovering the green subculture has (mostly) ended. Living green on a budget has changed from the thrill of discovery to habit. This blog remains in rememberance- with occasionally crossover posting. I hope you join me- the same green mama on a budget, in a new blog celebrating life's daily experiences- LIFE O'KAY http://lifeokay.blogspot.com/ Still lots of crafts & crunchiness- with even more sweet family moments.

Question? Request? Suggestion? Something Else?
Email Me!
Calynl
(at)Gmail(dot)com

We are HAPPY to post coupons and discounts related to this blog!